Re: Trying to install NeBSD on bare metal through a Linux distro

Hello,

Le Sat, May 21, 2022 at 12:36:44PM +0300, Pierre-Philipp Braun a écrit :
> On 20/05/2022 19:01, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > I'm testing the use of a bare metal dedicated server.
> >
> > The provider (in this case OVH) presents some pre-built OS images to
> > install, but NetBSD isn't one of them (in my case, even the FreeBSD
> > installations that exist on other offers aren't proposed).
>
> I was doing the same on Dedibox/Scaleway directly from GNU/Linux rescue
> system, as EXT2FS.
>
> Installing NetBSD from GNU/Linux
> https://pub.nethence.com/bsd/malabar
>
> However netbsd's EXT2FS isn't that great and I had issues cloning and
> maintaining GIT repos on it.  It seemed some feature was buggy or missing.
> GIT was not working well.  Other than that, the system was stable though.
>
> So I eventually switched to FFS, also directly from GNU/Linux thanks to the
> toolchain, namely tools/bin/nbmakefs which got cross-build on GNU/Linux
> without issue and could create a 3G FFS file-system, then extended at first
> boot to the full length of the physical disk.
>
> Installing NetBSD on FFS2 from GNU/Linux
> https://pub.nethence.com/bsd/malabar-ffs
>
> That works and seems ideal to me.
>
> Besides, while I was trying multiple ways to get NetBSD on Dedibox, I also
> was successful with installing it from their FreeBSD rescue system, which
> you also have at OVH apparently.
>
> Installing NetBSD from FreeBSD
> https://pub.nethence.com/bsd/malabar.freebsd
>
> HTH ;-)

Thanks for the pointers! I will try to find my way with these tips,
during the next week (I need to attend to some pressing business now)
and will post back on the mailing list what, hopefully, succeeds.

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/