Re: Network Oddities

On Sat, May 07, 2022 at 01:50:42PM -0400, Ron Georgia wrote:
> This sounds fun, I love testing and troubleshooting, but (no laughing) I
> don't even know what the debug sets are or how to use them. I can look it
> up, and if you have some helpful docs, point me at them and I'll read those
> too.
>
> Any instructions on how to "read" the dhcpcd.core file to help discover
> where and how it failed?

Same place you downloaded the binary sets for your installation from
(or the installer image), e.g. for the "real" 9.2 release it could
be something like:

http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.2/amd64/binary/sets/debug.tar.xz
http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.2/amd64/binary/sets/xdebug.tar.xz

and you can extract them (as root) like this:

cd /; tar xpzf /tmp/debug.tar.xz; tar xpzf /tmp/xdebug.tar.xz

If you have a netbsd-9 snapshot from the "daily" builds, it is similar,
but the start of the URL would be like e.g.

http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-9/202205050600Z/

(followed by /amd64/binary/sets/debug.tar.xz ...)

With those installed you can do:

cd /; gdb dhcpcd dhcpcd.core

and it will tell you the reason and source location of where the crash
happened in the code.

Martin