Re: gphoto2 and/or libusb1 issues?

John D. Baker wrote:
> I was of the impression that using "libusb1-1.*" was supposed to eliminate
> the need to chown/chgrp/chmod "/dev/ugen*" devices in order to communicate
> with them as an unpriviledged user.

I wonder where you got that impression from; I'm have not seen any
such claim.

> So, when I tried to use 'gphoto2' recently to get images off my Nikon
> CoolPix L22, it didn't see the camera until I made the "ugen" devices
> group read/write (my user is already a member of the appropriate group).
>
> Separate from that, even though it could now find the camera, any
> operation performed, such as attempting to get a directory listing
> (whether done directly or via the PTP shell) simply hangs until Ctrl-C
> is pressed.  After a couple of attempts, even that fails and I have to
> unplug/re-plug the camera to make further attempts.

I know of one issue with the pkgsrc libusb1 that could potentially be
the cause.  Could you try rebuilding the libusb1 package with this
patch?

  https://gson.org/netbsd/bugs/libusb1/20220123.patch

Also, please file a PR and include the dmesg or at least the parts
related to USB controllers, hubs, and the camera.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost