gphoto2 and/or libusb1 issues?

Was: Re: libusb-1.0, does it even work?, but those messages kept getting
bounced as SPAM.

I was of the impression that using "libusb1-1.*" was supposed to eliminate
the need to chown/chgrp/chmod "/dev/ugen*" devices in order to communicate
with them as an unpriviledged user.

So, when I tried to use 'gphoto2' recently to get images off my Nikon
CoolPix L22, it didn't see the camera until I made the "ugen" devices
group read/write (my user is already a member of the appropriate group).

Separate from that, even though it could now find the camera, any
operation performed, such as attempting to get a directory listing
(whether done directly or via the PTP shell) simply hangs until Ctrl-C
is pressed.  After a couple of attempts, even that fails and I have to
unplug/re-plug the camera to make further attempts.

In the distant past (May 2013) 'gphoto2' worked, although I think it
was still using "libusb-0.x".

--
John D. Baker