Re: gphoto2 and/or libusb1 issues?

On Sun 23 Jan 2022 at 21:13:40 +0200, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
> John D. Baker wrote:
> > I was of the impression that using "libusb1-1.*" was supposed to eliminate
> > the need to chown/chgrp/chmod "/dev/ugen*" devices in order to communicate
> > with them as an unpriviledged user.
>
> I wonder where you got that impression from; I'm have not seen any
> such claim.

Probably from mk/libusb.buildlink3.mk (although it can be read as a
claim purely about libusb-compat, totally independent of libusb1):

# This Makefile is meant to be included by packages that require an
# implementation of the former libusb (still found in devel/libusb). The
# original implementation can be chosen by setting LIBUSB_TYPE to "native".
#
# The alternative implementation libusb-compat (found in devel/libusb-compat)
# wraps libusb1 (in devel/libusb1). This implementation can be chosen by setting
# LIBUSB_TYPE to "compat". On NetBSD, it has the advantage of not requiring root
# privileges to locate and use USB devices without a kernel driver.
#
# User-settable variables:
#
# LIBUSB_TYPE
#       The name of the libusb implementation to default to, native or compat.
#

-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto