Re: mpv and estd and --vo=xv

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021, Rhialto wrote:

On the other hand, from there I found this description (I selected my
cpu,
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134896/intel-core-i5-9600k-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html
and as explanation for Intel Turbo Boost Technology it has

   Intel Turbo Boost Technology dynamically increases the processor's
   frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to
   give you a burst of speed when you need it, and increased energy
   efficiency when you don't.

I haven't seen a listing of something named Speed Shift or similar yet.
But from this one would think that it can both increase and decrease
frequency and power.

That's what I thought too. But, one of our Mikes say it goes from
Processor Base freq. -> Max Turbo freq., while the other states
Turbo Boost is akin to a hidden p-state. I don't know what to make
out of all this. (In an ideal world, both Mikes would be correct.)

Getting back to the original topic, I've pulled together all the
things I needed to get mpv video playback on NetBSD to be (almost)
on par with Linux/FreeBSD. See if these help you (assuming the OS
ver. is 9.99.86 and the card is Intel):

1. Use intel (SNA) Xorg video driver. (glxgears, mpv --vo=gpu both
   coredump if the Xor video driver is `modesetting'.)

2. Create symlinks missing on 9.99.8x (only if using binary packages):

   (cd /usr/lib; ln -s libstdc++.so.9 libstdc++.so.7;
    cd /usr/X11R7/lib; ln -s libglapi.so.1 libglapi.so.0)

3. Make sure /usr/pkg/lib/dri/*_drv_video.so is present by
   installing a) intel-vaapi-driver for Intel cards, or
   b) MesaLib for other video cards.

4. Make sure DRI device perms. are correct. They should be, but
   if you switch from `intel' -> `modesetting' and back, the
   permissions change to `rw-r-----' instead of `rw-rw----'.

   Also ensure you are in the wheel group (standard for X):

   chmod g+w /dev/dri/card?

5. Make sure `hwdec=auto' is set in ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf, and
   estd is turned off.

   Pass `--vo=gpu' to mpv when playing videos. The default `sdl' vo
   doesn't work well.

If HW video decoding is being done (this depends on the stream
and the decoding capabilities of your CPU/GPU), then mpv will
print something like:

    (+) Video --vid=1 (h264 1280x720 59.940fps)
    (+) Audio --aid=1 (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
    Using hardware decoding (vaapi-copy).
    AO: [sdl] 44100Hz stereo 2ch s32
    VO: [gpu] 1280x720 nv12

Note the `vaapi-copy' (intel) & `Pixel Format' above (also shown
with the `I' key when running): nv12 is a `native' pixel format.

Ctrl-h switches between HW and SW decoding.

When SW decoding, mpv shows:

    (+) Video --vid=1 (h264 1280x720 59.940fps)
    (+) Audio --aid=1 (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
    AO: [sdl] 44100Hz stereo 2ch s32
    VO: [gpu] 1280x720 yuv420p

Now the `Pixel Format' changes too yuv420p.

-RVP