Re: IPF rules

On Fri 02 Jul 2021 at 07:39:20 -0400, Todd Gruhn wrote:
> I started NetBSD, and shutoff IPF. Pinging mail.google.com and
> gsuite.google.com both got immediate
> results. If I left IPF down, and start FireFox, and goto
> mail.google.com, I get the "Critical Security Alert" popup,
> and the mouse gets frozen. I need to press the button, and reboot.
>
> How much of this prob is IPF and how much is Google?

IPF doesn't do popups of any sort, so that is easy.

Anything with the text "Critical Security Alert" sounds like some
malware that tries to make you intall more malware, but usually for
Windows. Are you getting as far as viewing a mail on mail.google.com?
It is probably a window from Firefox that you are seeing, caused by
something on a web page you have open.

Have you tried installing an ad blocker? uBlock Origin is good; I
use it with some extra filter lists enabled. A javascript blocker, such
as NoScript, is also good for safety, but a bit more annoying in
practical usage, because there are so many web pages that use javascript
where they totally shouldn't.

-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone
\X/  else to have kids to make his activity cost neutral."    -The BOFH