Re: cvs better than git?

On 2020-06-18 07:54, Andreas Krey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 01:26:14 +0000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
For me, I have no problem at all understanding what CVS or SVN does.

I do understand them as well - it's just that I can't understand
the claims that git is uniquely hard to understand. It's just
that svn will bite you later, and in more weird and unfixable ways.

I don't think any have claimed that any other revision control systems are perfect. But you are hardly going to convince anyone that git is good by pointing out problems in other systems.
It's easy to spot some problems and issues in both CVS and SVN, for example.

But as someone else mentioned, when working on issues related to the tool becomes a burden, then the tool is wrong. I much rather spend my time working on my actual issues than fight the tool. And with git, for me and everyone else I've seen, time wasted on it far exceeds what I've seen with any other tool.

E.g. the answer to 'how do I make tags in svn immutable by default'[1]
is surprisingly long and intricate - so much that nobody ever fully
answered that to me.

Such as this. As you also observe in your footnote, SVN don't really have tags in the first place.

My intent was never start any debate over git here. I personally hate git, but have to deal with it every day. And mails like this where people claim it's so good is not going to convince me. I obviously take my own experience over any testiments like this any day of the week. And when I can, I will avoid coming anywhere near git. Which for me means, that if we're talking about hobby projects like NetBSD, then I might just as well walk away from it, if I have to fight git yet again.

But I'm not going to try and stop NetBSD from changing. I merely did a very short rant about that I hate git myself, but tried to give a few reasons why moving to something like github might have other kind of issues.

There is really no need to have a thread about my revision control systems is better than yours. I do admit I was a bit surprised to see the amount of agreement to my opinion about git. But in the end, I suspect it don't matter.

  Johnny