Re: cvs better than git?

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 01:26:14 +0000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> For me, I have no problem at all understanding what CVS or SVN does.

I do understand them as well - it's just that I can't understand
the claims that git is uniquely hard to understand. It's just
that svn will bite you later, and in more weird and unfixable ways.

E.g. the answer to 'how do I make tags in svn immutable by default'[1]
is surprisingly long and intricate - so much that nobody ever fully
answered that to me.

> git. I have had several git fanatics throw their hands up in despair
> when trying to figure out what has broken when I managed to get git into
> some strange state, and eventually capitulate and just tell me to wipe
> it all and start over.

See, I had that *once* in seven years of being the official git support
guy for ~100 devs. And that involved a weird submodule setup.

But then, we use a bunch of scripts for doing the usual workflow steps
(which is something we'd need to do with svn as well).

> So no. I totally do not agree with your characterizations. In fact, I
> would rather say that if you don't understand what CVS or SNV does,

Fun fact: I learned to use git in a project of converting a CVS repo
to SVN. Afterwards, I wasn't a fan of svn anymore.

> you know how git works, and does things, then you clearly have a bright
> future in consulting, since so many people seem to have problems with it.

Doing that, and seeing not much problems.

- Andreas

[1] No, svn does not *have* tags.

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."