Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 08:04:05AM +0000, Christopher Pinon wrote:
> > When I ran NetBSD on Vultr over a year ago, the $2.5/m plan included a
> > dedicated IPv4 address, but alas this is no longer the case. (That plan
> > was also difficult to get, because they were nearly always "sold out".)
>
> I still own one from that lot! Yes those were difficult to get and now no
> more offered. Besides IPV4 they had 20GB HDD and 1TB BW.

In retrospect, I regret giving up that old plan that I had with them!

> Now $2.5 is available with 10GB HDD, 500GB BW and IPV6 only. You get IPV4
> for $3.5. Both these are regularly available (unlike older 2.5 plan that
> was not easy to get.

I've just checked and I couldn't easily see that either the $2.5 or the
$3.5 plan was currently available, but perhaps I missed something.

> BTW what is the downside of having IPV6 only?

Perhaps interacting with your IPv4-only friends? ;-) More seriously, I
believe that GitHub was IPv4-only, but this may have changed since their
acquisition by Microsoft. There are a lot of sites that are still
IPv4-only. (The last time that I checked, sdfeu.org, which is the EU
deployment of SDF, was still IPv4-only, for no particular reason, as far
as I could tell.)

> Isn't it the future anyway?

It depends on who you ask. :-)

Yes, it's the future, but there were predictions a decade ago that IPv6
would have taken over the world by now, which is still far from being
the case.

C.