Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On 2019-04-18 22:04, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 12:29:32 -0400
Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

When two fully tested commits hit the repo at the same time, and the
result is broken, who do I blame? Subversion?  We can hardly wave a
finger at the developer who had the simple misfortune of being second
with their push?

This alleged design flaw in Subversion, is it something that you can
actually reproduce or are you just repeating something that you heard
from someone somewhere? You seem to be the only person to come across
the issue. Many people use Subversion concurrently and they don't
seem to be reporting such problems. So if the issue does exist, as
you claim, can you please give us a demonstration and show us exactly
how and when your files get corrupted?

The problem obviously exists/ It's trivial to understand.
Person A commits a change removing a macro from file A.
Person B commits a change which use the macro person A deleted.

Obviously person B did not do an update. And the two commits did not touch the same file.

Don't matter if they do it at "the same time" or not. It actually have nothing to do with if they do things at the same time or not. That's just a red herring. The basic fact is that you can commit broken code, and the reason it is broken can be many. One of them being the scenario described above. But it is the same even if the commits aren't even close to at the same time. It's just a basic effect of that you can have people working on different files, and doing commits without being fully synced to head.

  Johnny