Re: vt100

On 2017-12-30 19:40, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
On 30.12.2017 19:25, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 01:09:02PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 06:38:16PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
On 30.12.2017 17:41, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 11:39:38AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 03:53:35PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
How to setup correctly vt100 in a terminal?

I've set exported TERM=vt100, called tset and stty and I keep observing
artifacts.

setting $TERM won't help with VMS :-)

Now... you could use the xterm option to tell it (in effect) to tell
the host not to send 8-bit controls:

man xterm:

        -ti term_id
                Specify  the  name used by xterm to select the correct response
                to terminal ID queries.  It also specifies the emulation level,
                used  to  determine  the  type  of  response  to  a  DA control
                sequence.  Valid values  include  vt52,  vt100,  vt101,  vt102,
                vt220,  and  vt240  (the  “vt”  is  optional).   The default is
                “vt420”.  The term_id argument specifies  the  terminal  ID  to
                use.  (This is the same as the decTerminalID resource).

That is,

	xterm -ti 100

or

	xterm -ti 102

and if the host is behaving properly, it'll give up on 8-bit controls.

Of course, VT100's have no function keys (F1-F12), nor Home/End,
PageUp/PageDown, but cursor-keys should work.  Your experience here
will depend on what the applications are using.

This didn't help (starting "xterm -ti 100" on my NetBSD host and
telneting to OpenVMS), however I have found the solution.

I've set in OpenVMS the following option:

SET TERMINAL/DEVICE_TYPE=vt100

py-terminator started to work correctly (and the same should happen with
xterm).

Thank you for your help!

The reason for this is that the VMS host will not magically know what kind of terminal you have. You need to (as you noted) tell it what terminal you have. Sometimes system managers put in a SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE into the system wide login script. That will make VMS try to detect what terminal you have, and could potentially have solved the problem if xterm have the right settings as well, but I suspect there is no SET TERM/INQ in there to start with, and then it is not enough to just fiddle around in xterm. VMS needs to know, just as Unix programs needs to know what terminal you have. In VMS you do it they way you noted above, and in Unix, you do it by setting the TERM variable.

  Johnny