Re: creating a netbsd router

On 2017-07-19 20:01, Brook Milligan wrote:

On Jul 19, 2017, at 10:01 AM, Derrick Lobo <derrick.lobo%givex.com@localhost> wrote:

So does that means each of the interface has an ip eg 192.168.0.1 on wm1
192.168.0.2 on wm2 and so on and then just bridge all the interface. Ill try
that . for now only wm1 had an ip the rest did not have an ifconfig.wmx file

I have a setup more or less like what I think you are interested in: 1 uplink port and 3 bridged ports.

The uplink port is just marked up in its ifconfig file and gets its IP via dhcp from upstream.

Right. In addition, it might be worth pointing out that you need to enable routing in the system, or else the machines connected to the bridge will not be able to reach outside. You might also want to turn on a dhcp server for the bridge side, so that machines connected on that side gets an ip address, but all that are parts you are free to play with as you wish.

Only one of the 3 bridged ports is assigned an IP; the rest are just marked up in their ifconfig files.  All four ports have individual ifconfig files.

My ifconfig.bridge0 file looks like this:

create
!brconfig $int \
        add wm1 \
        add wm2 \
        add wm3 \
        up

Whatever is plugged into any of the 3 bridged ports just communicate amongst themselves just like a “real” switch.

Right. I'm a bit surprised if you really need to set an ip address on any of those interfaces. Seems illogical and unnecessary. When you add them to the bridge, they will all be set in promiscuous mode anyway. No IP address needed. However, you do need your own IP address on this bridge, which I would think you normally setup through the bridge interface itself. And then, with routing enabled, machines on the inside can reach out. You might also want to run nat on this, unless you have a public range of ip addresses.

But it's all fairly straight forward, if you just think about it.

	Johnny