Re: Realtek RTL8188EUS driver (urtwn)

Hello,

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 07:51:06 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) writes:
>
> > vendor 0x10ec product 0x8179 (miscellaneous network, revision 0x01) at
> > pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured
> >
> > refers to pci3, whereas from the driver name I would have thought it
> > should appear as a usb device.

That's a PCI device, the urtwn driver is for USB devices.

> It may be that the next step is to add this vendor/product to the PCI
> device list.  (That won't make it attach or work, but it probably leads
> to a nicer message saying that it didn't attach.)

I'd try the rtwn driver, it's supposed to handle this chip or at least
something similar ( not sure what the difference between 8188CE and
8188EE is ). May just need an extra PCI ID.

NAME
     rtwn -- Realtek RTL8188CE/RTL8192CE PCIe IEEE 802.11b/g/n wireless net-
     work device

SYNOPSIS
     rtwn* at pci? dev ? function ?

DESCRIPTION
     The rtwn driver supports PCIe wireless network devices based on the Real-
     tek RTL8188CE and RTL8192CE chipset.

> Then, if you can find out how this chip works from some other OS, or
> From actually getting a programming guide from the manufacturer, you
> can add it as a match in a driver that might be able to handle it.
> It might be a similar chip to one netbsd supports, but that also has
> a USB interface, and in your case the USB interface isn't being used.

If it was using USB it would probably appear as an ehci or something
with a USB device behind it.

have fun
Michael