Re: Realtek RTL8188EUS driver (urtwn)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 09:33:59AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> > It may be that the next step is to add this vendor/product to the PCI
> > device list.  (That won't make it attach or work, but it probably leads
> > to a nicer message saying that it didn't attach.)
>
> I'd try the rtwn driver, it's supposed to handle this chip or at least
> something similar ( not sure what the difference between 8188CE and
> 8188EE is ). May just need an extra PCI ID.

Realtek are annoying with their variants, the 0x8179 is a 8188EU variant
and they changed the prom layout due to this it is not a simple matter
of adding the ID to the match routine.  I started modifying the urtwn driver
to support the 8188EU a while back.  I managed to get it reading the
prom and configuring the interface but failed to get the interface
passing traffic.  Unfortunately real life intruded on my efforts and I
ended up buying a usb micro adapter that was supported to get me going.
I am happy to share what I have done if it helps.

--
Brett Lymn
Let go, or be dragged - Zen proverb.