Realtek RTL8188EUS driver (urtwn)

I asked this on port-amd64 but got no positive responses.

I have a number of nettop machines which contain a Realtek RTL8188EUS
wireless NIC chipset with the device code 0x8179.   With the GENERIC
7.0 kernel, during the hardware probe phase at boot time the chip is
correctly recognised but does not attach to the driver.  Running
modstat shows that the driver is present, and the device code 0x8179 is
present in the header files in src/sys.

The only thing that looks like a clue to me at the moment is that the
device probe report:

vendor 0x10ec product 0x8179 (miscellaneous network, revision 0x01) at
pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured

refers to pci3, whereas from the driver name I would have thought it
should appear as a usb device.

If there is a place more suited to the discussion of driver-wrangling,
do please point me to it.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>