Re: running a logitech quickcam 4000 on a netbsd raspberry pi

On Sat, Feb 06, 2016 at 06:39:02PM -0500, Marina Brown wrote:
> On 02/06/2016 05:30 AM, Michael van Elst wrote:
> > kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost (Robert Elz) writes:
> >
> >> So I guess that the logitech quickcam must not be a uvideo type device.
> >
> > Google found http://home.384.jp/takam/bsd/NetBSD.html
> >
> > describing the various pre-uvideo cameras and apparently someone
> > got them to work in NetBSD-1.6 times.
> >
>  Would adding
>
> # Video capture devices
[...]
> Which i found in i386 Generic help ?

I don't think so. Those drivers are for other devices.

The japanese page refers to the programs phpsshot and phpsview
that can be used to capture and display camera frames from a
QuickCam Pro 4000. You can try to build these, apparently they
did work under NetBSD-1.6.2_RC3.

The kernel patch shouldn't be necessary as it is to prevent the
camera model that included a microphone from attaching as uaudio.
But your camera only attaches as ugen, and that's what the patch
tries to achieve.

The link to the source archive pwc-9.0.2.tar.gz apparently is broken,
but you can still find it on the net. In particular it seems be
kept on some pkgsrc mirrors because there used to be a package
graphics/phpsview for it.

That package has been removed because the display program relies
on the outdated GTK1 library that has been removed.

It's probably some work to get this camera going again.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost