Re: Necessity of rebuilding pkgsrc after updating the system

On 18 August 2015 at 16:25, Pongthep Kulkrisada <ptkrisada%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> I like C Programming and love coding.
> I always use PKG_OPTIONS.pkg or edit /etc/mk.conf before compiling.
> I can see package dependencies prior to compilation.
> And I can see source code.
> Can pkgin do that? I don't know. I have never used pkgin.

Show package direct dependencies:
# pkgin show-deps foo

Show package full dependency tree:
# pkgin show-full-deps foo

Show package reverse dependency tree (packages depending directly or
indirectly):
# pkgin show-rev-deps foo

But obviously cannot alter build options as they are fetched from the
servers (or locally if you specify a local path in
/usr/pkg/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf.

With the help of this list, I had written a script to synchronize
pkgin and pkgsrc and use pkgin if binaries were available in the
repositories. I has to trash my system away and I didn't make a backup
but it shouldn't be difficult to rewrite it.

It would be nice if pkgsrc could be configured natively to fetch
binaries with pkgin if available.