Re: Necessity of rebuilding pkgsrc after updating the system

Thank you for your replies.

* Martin Husemann (martin%duskware.de@localhost) wrote:
> The answer is not a simple yes or no.
>
> The basic idea is: you can upgrade the base system and keep using the
> old pkgs just fine.
Once I used to consider this issue when I was updating from 5.x to 6.x.
sizeof (time_t) was changed from 32 bits to 64 bits.
And time_t is likely to be used in nearly all applications (I think).
So that time I was thinking that it was very necessary to rebuild all
installed pkgsrc.

* Ottavio Caruso (ottavio2006-netbsd%yahoo.com@localhost) wrote:
> blind leading the blind here. My gut feeling is: no.
>
> Isn't *BSD based on the principle that the base system is somewhat
> separated from 3rd party userland?
Please see above.

* Eric Haszlakiewicz (erh%nimenees.com@localhost) wrote:
> However, you can try "pkgin full-upgrade" and see if it works for you.  (assuming you just want to install pre-built packages, and don't have customizations to the builds)
I have never used pkgin.
I always do everything from source.
Except for the first installation from iso image.

So far, the answer depends on many factors.
In case rebuild all installed pkgsrc is required.
Rebuild one by one is very painful.
So my question...
Is there a SINGLE command to force rebuild all installed pkgsrc?
pkg_chk -u -s doesn't do that, if it is still in the same quarter.

Thank you,

--
Pongthep Kulkrisada

"Nothing ever exists entirely alone without relativity."