Re: viaide1: channel 0: reset failed for drive 0

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 01:41:33PM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 02:29:47PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> >   Scan the FreeBSD driver's CVS history, to see if you can find a
> > commit that looks relevant.
>
> Will do.  I'll compare FreeBSD's driver to NetBSD's as well.

I studied the NetBSD viaide driver for a while and even tried changing
the code a little bit (skip checking for BSY flag for example) and it
still didn't work.  The reset failed.  The BSY flag never cleared.
Something just didn't seem right, so I looked at FreeBSD's code, but it
looks totally different because of the CAM sub-system that they use now.
I wasn't certain if it was NetBSD's viaide or the wdc driver at fault,
but then I had an idea to disable viaide and let the pciide driver take
over, and it works!  wd0 was found right away and I've installed the
system now.  Does that mean that wdc probably isn't at fault and I
should focus on the viaide driver?