Re: viaide1: channel 0: reset failed for drive 0

Stephen Fisher <sfisher%SDF.ORG@localhost> writes:

> I'm relatively new to NetBSD (I've been using FreeBSD nearly forever)

Welcome  (and probably not since before 1993 :-).

> and I have it installed on one PC at work already.  I'm now trying to
> install it at home and receive this error upon installation
> (6.1.5-RELEASE on amd64):
>
> 	viaide1 port 0: device present, speed: 3.0GB/s
> 	<some other messages>
> 	viaide1: BSY never cleared, status 0x80
> 	viaide1: channel 0: reset failed for drive 0
>
> The viaide1 is an on-board nvidia nForce SATA controller.  The drive 0
> is a Seagate Baracuda 1TB drive.

Yes, this is almost certainly a big problem.

> I was able to install Win8 and FreeBSD 10.1 successfully.

It's very likely there is either a bug in the NetBSD driver, or
something odd about the controller you have which other systems cope
with and NetBSD doesn't (which isn't all that different...).

Suggessions are:

  try a recent build of the netbsd-7 branch (will be 7.0, but hasn't
  happened yet)

  try a recent build of -current.  Probably
    http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201412190340Z/images/
  is a good place to start from.  Beware that current may have bugs.
  But it's the most likely place to have a fix for your problem.

  Look at the CVS history of the driver, to see if there is anything
  that looks relevant on HEAD and not on the netbsd-6 branch.

  build a custom kernel with extra debugging flags, figured out by
  reading the driver.  If you do this, I suggest -current.

  Scan the FreeBSD driver's CVS history, to see if you can find a commit
  that looks relevant.