Re: viaide1: channel 0: reset failed for drive 0

On Dec 28,  6:03pm, Stephen Fisher wrote:
} On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 01:41:33PM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:
} > On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 02:29:47PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
}
} > >   Scan the FreeBSD driver's CVS history, to see if you can find a
} > > commit that looks relevant.
} >
} > Will do.  I'll compare FreeBSD's driver to NetBSD's as well.
}
} I studied the NetBSD viaide driver for a while and even tried changing
} the code a little bit (skip checking for BSY flag for example) and it
} still didn't work.  The reset failed.  The BSY flag never cleared.
} Something just didn't seem right, so I looked at FreeBSD's code, but it
} looks totally different because of the CAM sub-system that they use now.
} I wasn't certain if it was NetBSD's viaide or the wdc driver at fault,
} but then I had an idea to disable viaide and let the pciide driver take
} over, and it works!  wd0 was found right away and I've installed the
} system now.  Does that mean that wdc probably isn't at fault and I
} should focus on the viaide driver?

     I've noticed the issue with ahcisata with an Intel chipset.
I think other's have noticed the problem as well.  Now, this doesn't
mean that there isn't a problem with viaide as stuff tends to get
copied between different drivers, but it might be a good idea to
look for commonality.

     One significant thing that stands out is that when you switched
to pciide you stopped doing DMA.  This may or may not be relevent.

}-- End of excerpt from Stephen Fisher