Re: Import sysupdate into NetBSD

Hi Julian,

On Mar 17, 2014, at 01:06 , Julian Djamil Fagir <gnrp%komkon2.de@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi Fredrik,
>
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:18:38 +0100 Fredrik Pettai wrote:
>> On Jan 19, 2014, at 09:31 , Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes. sysupdate - Julian Fagir actually did some good work for the last
>>> Google Summer of Code.  We should be importing this.
>>
>> (I've been using jmmv's sysupgrade for some time now, and that works good.
>> Updating NetBSD with it have becoming faster & simpler, saving time.)
>> I also tried to test sysupdate
>> (http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/jdf/5822463824887808)
>> However, it's not possible to simply test it by pointing it at the regular
>> NetBSD releases, as it requires extra data to be present on the ftp server
>> (referring to the mtree/<RELEASE>/set.XXX checksum files).
>
> when GSoC ended, I wrote a blog article about the project:
>
>    http://www.komkon2.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=blog:gsoc_is_over
>
> I planned to publish it also on the NetBSD blog, but I don't remember why
> this didn't happen.
> The checksum and mtree files are the real problem: This would need a larger
> integration in the NetBSD build infrastructure. I don't know how much work
> this would actually be, so far there are two scripts that would have to be
> run by me to update the mtree and checksum files.

Ok.

>> - I guess a modification to "build.sh distribution" needs be added that
>> also export the mtree dir + set files together with sets, to ease the
>> distribution of the releases then they are made available on the ftp.
>
> No, build.sh will be fine. If you have the tarballs visible inside your
> filesystem, sysupdate would not check for changed files.

I don't follow?

Then I wrote ('modification to "build.sh distribution" …') I meant what you
just wrote above, better integration in the NetBSD build infrastructure, so
newly built distributions gets bundled with the stuff sysupdate needs to work.

>> - I also noted that "sysbackup soft" isn't working according to the usage
>> output you get from itself. (however, "man sysbackup" indicates that there
>> are more mandatory arguments needed...)
>
> The documentation needs to be updated. Benny started with this, but I didn't
> push the changes yet. Anyway, the most recent version is in my repository.

Ok, found it.

>> - sysrollback(8) is mentioned in sysbackup(8), but it's not bundled with
>> the package (alias for sysbackup?)
>>
>> - Tracking daily built releases (like netbsd-6) doesn't seem to work
>> (although, that's not a major goal for this tool)
>> Are there any updates/fixes that to sysupdate & sysbackup somewhere? (the
>> version I'm trying is 0.9)
>>
>> What the next steps?
>
> There are some smaller issues, and Benny already started reviewing the code.

I'll start by testing the latest version, and see how that works…
(btw. who's benny? blymn@ ? bsiegert@ ?)

> The reason I didn't continue pushing for it is simple: When I had the time, I
> was waiting for reviews, and now I got the OK, but don't have time anymore.

(Too bad you didn't push out the blog article, then more people would probably
know about it in time)

> If anybody else would like to import it, he should free to do so (but maybe
> contact me beforehand), I personally won't have time for this before summer.

Thanks,
/P