NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

From: Iain Hibbert <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost>

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, David Brownlee wrote:
> >  I'd like to propose we add a simple text editor to the base
> >  system. The obvious candidate is 'ee' from FreeBSD. Its in
> >  pkgsrc as editors/easyedit. Its not too big (56K stripped
> >  on i386), only links against libc & curses, and needs no
> >  other files (apart from termcap).
>
> I would like to (only mildly) oppose this. My reasoning is that of course
> we already have an editor and I don't know how this project is aiming to
> add (eg GNOME) functionality - is it all to be imported to base?
>
> Far better imo would be to work on providing a way to create and install a
> base system with packages included. That way, a "Desktop NetBSD" release
> can be built with GNOME (and ee :) but very easily somebody else can
> create a config file for XCFE or "Xen Server" or -nothing- if they prefer
> that.

The netbsd-desktop project will be adding pkgsrc meta-pkgs to gain gnome
and suchlike.

Ee is slightly different - the intent is to add it to the base so it is
available on all systems, such as a xen virtual domain at a hosting
provider, or other headless boxes which will never see a desktop. That is
why it was important to pick something small as well as easy to use.

As a general rule, everything vaguely relevant will go into the desktop
meta package, but only *very* select programs should be imported into base.

Does that address your concerns?