NetBSD-Desktop archive

Re: signup for Desktop tasks? and "ports"? and plugin detection

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:17:23PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> >I have used NetBSD on my desktops for around 9 years. But I rarely use
> >Gnome. My experiences with Ubuntu and Gnome have been bad so moved my wife
> >to NetBSD and Xfce. But I am willing to maybe move my wife back to
> >NetBSD+Gnome. (As for me, all the extra software and features are
> >overwhelming to me ... I like to keep it a little more simple.)
>
>       I've just switched on Xfce from a selection of gnome / kde3
>       / kde4 / jwm and while its not the prettiest it does seem
>       a nice point in the features/size curve.
>
>       If we were looking at providing a single desktop viable on
>       more than just big x86 boxes (86 netbooks, macppc, sparc
>       etc), then xfce4 might be a good choice - its size would
>       also be an asset on live CDs.

It might be good to run on macppc/sparc64 because many of these systems
could support the software but initially I think we should focus on modern
x86 hardware.

For a long time many of us have felt constrained because we have to support
every piece of junk floating around out there. I don't think we should let
this hold us back. If your computer's a heap and you want to run GNOME, go
dumpster diving!

Andrew