Re: NetBSD current install issue

On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 01:33:42PM -0600, Robert Nestor wrote:
> My system has multiple disks which allow me to install various versions of NetBSD.  The disks are large and the system supports EFI, so for some time I?ve been doing installations with GPT wedges and using either BIOS or EFI setups to boot with.  Early on the EFI support didn?t work on this HW and until recently sysinst didn?t fully support installs on this type of setup.  To get around this I wrote a pretty simple script that partitions the target disk, unpacks the distribution, does some of the customization I usually do, and copies any other personal files from the disk I?m currently running on to the new target disk.  This has worked quite well for systems going back as far as 7.x all the way up to and including 9.0_BETA, but it doesn?t work for an installation of -current.  When I get to the point of wanting to create my users the script uses a line like:
>
> chroot /targetroot useradd -c ?.

We should consider adding a proper "this is the root dir" option to the
user management commands, like -d for pwd_mkdb(8). This is usefull also
when creating setups for diskless machines on their NFS server and other
scenarios. Maybe start with useradd and do transitive closure on all
utilities it invokes as a first pass?

Martin