Re: long delay getting address from ISP w/-current dhcpcd

Hi John

On 24/07/2017 21:46, John D. Baker wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2017, John D. Baker wrote:
>
>> Now that it has generated a new DUID (and once the ISP's DHCP server
>> issues a lease for it), I'll need to be sure and copy the "duid" file
>> as "/etc/dhcpcd.duid" for the netbsd-7 installation on the CF card.
>> Then, an update to netbsd-8 will migrate it to "/var/db/dhcpcd/duid".
>
> This seems to have been a case of different DUID values between the
> local disk (CF) installation and the NFS-root installation and the ISP's
> behavior when being presented with a DUID of which it doesn't yet have
> (or no-longer has) a record.
>
> Copying the "/var/db/dhcpcd/duid" file from the -current NFS install to
> "/etc/dhcpcd.duid" on the netbsd-7 CF install ensured that either case
> would get an address quickly.  The subsequent upgrade to 8.0_BETA migrated
> the "/etc/dhcpcd.duid" file to "/var/db/dhcpcd/duid" and everything is
> working nicely now.

Glad it working nicely for you now!
Maybe we should put something about this change in some upgrade notes if
we have any?

> Now, to keep this behavior in mind should I put my old SS5-based router
> back into service or replace it with an ERLITE or one of the supported
> RouterBoard products.

Now you know the root cause, whatever you put in place is entirely your
choice.
I myself run an ERLITE router with dhcpcd to negotiate stuff (although
just from the cable modem which has it's own DHCP server) - but it boots
entirely off the USB stick and not NFS as some like to do.

Roy