Re: Building on -current fails in cleandir

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
Really, I'd get rid of all those variables, and use build.sh options instead.

Well, some of them are pkgsrc variables so I couldn't get rid of all of them anyway.

Your mk.conf can use .if defined(BSD_PKG_MK) to apply different settings for pkgsrc.

I am off now to study MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and why it acts differently in the environment and mk.conf.

MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX works only on the command line or in the environment, because make(1) processes it before reading any Makefiles. This is documented in the make(1) man page; search for .OBJDIR.

If MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is not set in the environment or on the command line, then make(1) itself won't use it; but if it's set in mk.conf then parts of bsd.*.mk will see that it's defined and will assume that make(1) has used it. This inconsistency can easily lead to problems in bsd.obj.mk. I am a little surprised that this didn't cause trouble for you before now.

--apb (Alan Barrett)