Re: Building on -current fails in cleandir

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
>BUILDIR = /usr/obj/build
>MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX = /usr/obj
>TOOLDIR = /usr/obj/tools
>OBJMACHINE = /usr/obj
>BSDOBJDIR = /usr/obj
>RELEASEDIR = /usr/obj/release
>DESTDIR = /usr/obj/destdir

Those settings are very strange.

You also didn't say whether you set those variables in the environment or in mk.conf. It can make sometimes a difference, and it always makes a difference for MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and MAKEOBJDIR.

Really, I'd get rid of all those variables, and use build.sh options instead.

% ./build.sh -T /build/tools -O /build/obj -D /build/destdir build

OK, I renamed my /etc/mk.conf so that it is ignored and ran the above command. It worked. I can't understand why. The above has worked for me for years. What does it matter if I point to /usr/obj/xxx or /xxx?

It doesn't matter what directory name you use, as long as inter-related variables are consistent with each other.

I am going to install that userland and try again with my old mk.conf.

If you must use strange and unusual settings in mk.conf or in your enviropnment, then please mention that fact in any problem reports. If I had know about your unusual variable settings, then I might have use similar values when I tried to replicate your problem, or I might have decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. As it is, without knowledge of your settings, I wasted an hour or two.

--apb (Alan Barrett)