Re: Problems after xorg patch to 5.0_STABLE

Rafal Boni --> port-i386 (2009-09-21 17:22:13 -0400):
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:44:35PM -0700, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
> > On Sep 21, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> >
> > >However, I removed the directory in question and extracted the set
> > >again, but the screen still goes black as soon as Xorg is running.
> >
> > Sadly, this is expected.  See PR xsrc/41870.  I am very tempted to
> > change our X server back to the old behavior of installing a default
> > cursor immediately and painting the background to that horrible
> > horrible eye-killing pattern.  Much as I hate that default background,
> > black with no cursor is all kinds of wrong.
>
> Yeah, too many people's reaction to the black screeen w/no cursor has
> been "OMG, it's fuxored" (including mine, even now occasionally).  We
> should go back to the damn grey stipled screen; it's not like it can't
> be changed by whatever eye-candy is running on top of X as soon as it
> starts.

I don't think that was the problem I was seeing.  Unless a side effect
is that you're not able to shut down the X server anymore... ;-)

With the 1.6.3 server, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace did not work, only sending a
SIGKILL to the server (by a user logged in over the network) worked, but
left the screen garbled until the system was restarted.  And blindly
typing `shutdown -r now' or pressing the power button to trigger a
shutdown by powerd(8) did not work as well.

In the meantime I've extracted the old sets to make Xorg (server 1.4.2)
is usable again...

Regards, Jukka

--
This email fills a much-needed gap in the archives.