re: Problems after xorg patch to 5.0_STABLE

   I just updated a netbsd-5 i386 system (ThinkPad X40) and I'm seeing the
   problems you describe for the intel driver: black screen as soon as I
   run startx(1), can't switch to another VT afterwards.  Logging in via
   ssh and sending X a SIGKILL just leaves the display garbled.

this is probably the xkbdata -> xkeyboard-config upgrade issue.
we haven't yet implemented a real fix to help this upgrade as it
involves deleting an old subdir before extracting xbase.tgz.  the
simple workaround is to do this:

        # rm -rf /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
        # pax -rzpe -f xbase.tgz ./usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc

you should be able to kill Xorg without SIGKILL, but SIGTERM, and
it should shutdown and clean up the display properly.  did this not
work?

   And yes, xorgconfig indeed seems not to be included in the sets;
   pcitweak, scanpci, in[blw], out[blw] and ioport are also missing.

these utilities are no longer part of xorg-server.

anyone who would like to work on a fix for this, please let me know.

.mrg.