Re: Making powerd=YES default

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:37:30PM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:

Making a mountain out of a mole hill, but nevertheless...

See, also sysmon_envsys(9) uses this internally. If you want to do the
dubious and error-prone task of enumerating all powerd(8) users, you have to
go through all kernel configuration files on all architectures and all (MD
or MI) device drivers or other components that may use either sysmon_envsys(9)
or sysmon_pswitch(9). Then you have to maintain it.

I would say that the kernel does not need this kind of useless cruft.
Rather, we should make good default choices even if there is m68k.

> Granted, the current registering operation is a NOP; but I think these
> functions were introduced for one good reason, and here it is: if you
> don't have any sort of event registered when powerd(8) starts, you
> shouldn't expect it to handle some in a "stateless" manner later.

I think the actual reason is: sysmon(4) was never really finished.

> I can change the semantic of these operations and force them to
> reference a power backend. In that case, that will force all sysmon
> callers to:
> - first register a power backend
> - then register different sort of events (like pswitch).

Please don't.

- Jukka.