Re: Making powerd=YES default

On 26.07.2011 06:59, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:14:39AM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>> IMHO, it should even be renamed from "powerd" to "eventd", as it will
>> probably manage more that just power (like aps(4)).
>
> As Paul pointed out, it already does. The MI sysmon_envsys(9) uses powerd(8)
> to deliver the sensor-events to userland. All of the scripts/sensor_* are
> believed to be machine-independent and already used by several architectures
> indirectly via the numerous MI drivers. Making the daemon to exit based on
> the deceptive concept of "power backend" will break stuff.

I disagree there; the sysmon API already defines register functions for
events; you are supposed to register them first before posting them to
powerd.

Granted, the current registering operation is a NOP; but I think these
functions were introduced for one good reason, and here it is: if you
don't have any sort of event registered when powerd(8) starts, you
shouldn't expect it to handle some in a "stateless" manner later.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost