Re: Making powerd=YES default

On 25.07.2011 21:40, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:17:03PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> Unless you plan to share /etc/powerd/scripts between different machines, I
>> don't see what such subdirectories would buy you.
>
> To further clarify this a little: IMO the scripts should be shared by
> machines. But this implies consistent MI interfaces in the kernel.
>
> Thus, the current hack is to either use the subdirectories or resort to
> things like this (from scripts/sleep_button):
>[snip]
>
> Obviously, both approaches leave a lot to be desired.

Polishing power management framework (or even powerd(8)) is a really big
project in itself. It also has to offer interfaces for programming, like
time of wakeup, suspend maybe, and even policy (like power control:
powersaving or performance, etc.). This needs some thinking and trying,
before having something that we feel comfortable with.

IMHO, it should even be renamed from "powerd" to "eventd", as it will
probably manage more that just power (like aps(4)).

So let me summarize a bit, so we can move further; do everyone agree if I:
- patch powerd(8) so that it checks for power_type, and if none is
provided, log and exit

        => that means that all ports/arches that want to see powerd(8) enabled
and resident should now register a backend (nominal case).

        => in case some want to execute powerd(8) regardless of a backend
presence, add a flag for that (maybe -f?), and let those that want it
add it to rc.conf.

- set powerd=YES in etc/defaults/rc.conf

Please raise your voice if you have concerns.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost