Re: Making powerd=YES default

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:14:39AM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
> IMHO, it should even be renamed from "powerd" to "eventd", as it will
> probably manage more that just power (like aps(4)).

As Paul pointed out, it already does. The MI sysmon_envsys(9) uses powerd(8)
to deliver the sensor-events to userland. All of the scripts/sensor_* are
believed to be machine-independent and already used by several architectures
indirectly via the numerous MI drivers. Making the daemon to exit based on
the deceptive concept of "power backend" will break stuff.

I would either enable it for all architectures or do as J. Kollasch suggested.
Though I don't see how such a small daemon would do any harm even on memory-
constrained systems (you can still turn it off by powerd=OFF in rc.conf(5) in
your embedded projects).

- Jukka.