Re: Moving rc.d scripts to base.tgz

dholland-tech%NetBSD.org@localhost (David Holland) writes:

>I don't see that it's unreasonable to ask the small number of people
>who routinely make substantial modifications to the system to do so as
>source patches; in fact, as a general rule it's much easier to manage
>such modifications that way than as custom edits that have to be
>redone (often slightly differently) on every newly installed machine.

So instead of maintaining patches to etc (easily assisted by etcupdate)
you ask for maintaining local patches in source and the need to
build your system from source.

If you think that the patches should be committed upstream to avoid
this then you assume these are generally accepted by all users instead
of just implementations of local policy or preference.

I'll ask you where is the benefit to the user? Or even the developers..

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost