Re: Moving rc.d scripts to base.tgz

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 06:21:19PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
 > > /libexec.  Which is also where /etc/{daily,weekly,monthly,security}
 > > should be, as there hasn't AFAIK been any valid reason for sysadmins
 > > to edit those in a long time.
 >
 > So, admins that find NetBSD's maintenance scripts unsuitable for their
 > purposes must provide their own, rather than modify the existing ones?

If what you're doing is patching the system, patch the system. It's
much better (and easier) to maintain local changes to these sorts of
things as patches in the source tree... just as you'd have to anyway
if you had local modifications to /usr/bin/finger or whatever else.
The fact that certain things are textual scripts rather than binary
compiler output does not make it reasonable (or desirable, or
advisable) to edit them in place.

If that's not a reasonable description of what your modifications are,
although I expect it is, you still have at least three options:

   - add additional or replacement logic in /etc/daily.local;
   - turn off /etc/daily, copy the whole script to /usr/local/etc or
     /usr/local/libexec and edit to your heart's desire, preferably
     with version control;
   - write additional independent scripts and run them from cron.

 > [...]

You're merely being difficult here.

--
David A. Holland