Re: Fwd: GSoC Project: Replacement for Apropos

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Abhinav Upadhyay
<> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have put up the proposal on GSoC website. I would appreciate
> feedback, so that I can improve it.
> Here is the link:
> I personally feel that perhaps more details are required ? But it is
> too long and I already cut short on a lot of stuff. But I tried to
> answer as many questions as I could from the NetBSD SoC Application
> guideline (
> p.s.: There might be some spelling and formatting mistakes, I will
> check and correct them as I get time. The wysiwyg editor was not a
> great help.
> Thanks
> Abhinav

Hi again,

I have written some shell scripts to traverse the directories and
store the man pages in sqlite3 database. I have started studying some
text on information retrieval, there are some useful methods of
ranking like vector space model for finding similar documents.

I have updated my proposal after getting some useful feedback from
Joerg on IRC. I think there is still much scope of improvement and I
would like to get some more feedback before the deadline so that I can
give finishing touches.

The worrying point in the proposal for me is the ranking algorithm
part. I think I should propose some ideas here, what do you think ?