Re: Fwd: GSoC Project: Replacement for Apropos

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:33:46PM +0530, Abhinav Upadhyay wrote:
>> 1. Is the idea to introduce a new command line utility which means
>> apropos(1) remains there, or to change the implementation of apropos
>> so that the new apropos provides all the goodness of full text search
>> ?
>
> I don't think retrofitting this into the existing apropos (well, man -k)
> is very helpful. But keep in mind that it has to be integrated into
> man(1) at some point, so keep it modular.
>
> Joerg

Hi,

I would like to know more about the integration with man(1). I had the
impression that the a full text index will be maintained in a sqlite
database and the new apropos would search that index. And when new man
pages are installed, some way of triggering the update of the index.

It would be great if you could elaborate on the role of integration
with man(1).

Also, I will be having my semester exams at the end of May so I will
not be available for around 10 days, will that be a problem ?

Thanks