Re: Fwd: GSoC Project: Replacement for Apropos

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:40:18AM +0530, Abhinav Upadhyay wrote:
>> Regarding the implementation: I think, parsing the mandocs and
>> building an inverse index, would be a good way to start.
>
> BTW, you might find the following from the mdocml mailing list
> useful:
>
> http://mdocml.bsd.lv/archives/discuss/0342.html
>
> Joerg

Hi Joerg,

 Thanks, for sharing that. For a moment I thought that he has already
implemented it :)

I think his idea is also thoughtful, indexing the main sections of the
manpage in separate columns in the sqlite database may allow us to
come up with a better ranking algorithm. And as you said using FTS of
sqlite is a more scalable way to do it.

I had two questions to ask:

1. Is the idea to introduce a new command line utility which means
apropos(1) remains there, or to change the implementation of apropos
so that the new apropos provides all the goodness of full text search
?

2. The student application period starts from today (28th March). I am
not familiar with this process. Where do I need to write the proposal,
on GSoC website or NetBSD provides its own application format ?