Re: Fwd: GSoC Project: Replacement for Apropos

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger
<> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:40:18AM +0530, Abhinav Upadhyay wrote:
>> Regarding the implementation: I think, parsing the mandocs and
>> building an inverse index, would be a good way to start.
> BTW, you might find the following from the mdocml mailing list
> useful:
> Joerg

Hi Joerg,

 Thanks, for sharing that. For a moment I thought that he has already
implemented it :)

I think his idea is also thoughtful, indexing the main sections of the
manpage in separate columns in the sqlite database may allow us to
come up with a better ranking algorithm. And as you said using FTS of
sqlite is a more scalable way to do it.

I had two questions to ask:

1. Is the idea to introduce a new command line utility which means
apropos(1) remains there, or to change the implementation of apropos
so that the new apropos provides all the goodness of full text search

2. The student application period starts from today (28th March). I am
not familiar with this process. Where do I need to write the proposal,
on GSoC website or NetBSD provides its own application format ?