Re: proplist [was: Importing xmlgrep into base]

Disclaimer: no offense meant, but this is a classic bikeshed here.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:47:26 -0400
Matthew Mondor <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost> wrote:

> '(:plist (:version "1.0" :encoding "UTF-8")
>   (:dict (("CFBundleGetInfoString" "Heimdal @VERSION@")
>         ("CFBundleName" "Heimdal")
>         ("CFBundleIdentifier" "org.h5l.heimdal.pkg")
>         ("CFBundleShortVersionString" "1.0")
>         ("IFPkgFlagAllowBackRev" t)
>         ("IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction" "RootAuthorization")
>         ("IFPkgFlagDefaultLocation" "/")
>         ("IFPkgFlagFollowLinks" t)
>         ("IFPkgFlagIsRequired" t)
>         ("IFPkgFlagOverwritePermissions" t)
>         ("IFPkgFlagRelocatable" nil)
>         ("IFPkgFlagRestartAction" "NoRestart")
>         ("IFPkgFlagRootVolumeOnly" t)
>         ("IFPkgFlagUpdateInstalledLanguages" nil)
>         ("IFPkgFormatVersion" 0.10000000149011612))))

Wow, this is actually uglier than XML.

> Such a format is easily readable and parsable by a few lines of CL
> code.  In this example, keyword symbols are used to avoid package
> issues and aid in identifying sections, plist's "arguments" are a CL
> plist, :dict are using a CL alist (yet identified with :dict to easily
> distinguish it from other lists), bools are booleans, integers
> integers, real floats, and arrays litteral arrays.

FYI one one is using lisp or obscure languages like it, so
why support an obscure data format nobody is using?
Im pretty sure that we could export to brainfuck too, but why would we?

People use XML, JSON and sometimes YAML.

--
NetBSD - Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability