Re: proplist [was: Importing xmlgrep into base]

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:47:26 -0400
Matthew Mondor <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost> wrote:

> It's true that versionning could make things a little more complex with
> time also.  After thinking more about it and reading the proplib(3) API
> throughly, I think that it's already easy enough to write custom export
> tools in C (and import tool is probably best written in the language
> for which the export format was created, and that's easy enough to
> write as well for people needing it).  So working on a binary format
> (for reasons of performance, unrelated to the import/export discussion)
> is probably higher priority than supporting alternate text formats.

To evaluate how easy it is to export a property list to a custom format
using a third party utility, I wrote a test (and am posting a link to
it here in case it may be useful to anyone else either as example or
for actual usage with CL):

http://cvs.pulsar-zone.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mmondor/mmsoftware/util/proplist-cl.c?rev=1.3;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup

Considering how simple it is, it reinforces my new POV that an in-base
exporter/importer utility for custom formats is not necessary,
afterall.

Goodnight,
--
Matt