re: Importing xmlgrep into base

   On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 01:40:47PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
   > David Young wrote:
   >
   > > Nhat Minh Lê's GSoC 2009 project, xmlgrep, is ready to be imported into
   > > the base system.  It depends on expat, the stream-oriented XML parsing
   > > library.

please confirm with core before importing any new software into src.

   > Is there a reason this is being imported into base instead of pkgsrc?
   > Is there anything else in base that uses or outputs XML that xmlgrep
   > would be useful for?

   As I wrote to somebody yesterday, there are lots of reasons that the
   xmltools are most useful in the base system.  XML is everywhere; even
   the base system produces XML in the form of Property Lists.  XML is a
   useful format for base programs, scripts, and pipelines to exchange
   structured information.  The base system reliably cross-compiles for
   embedded systems where xmltools are suitable because of their small
   size, speed, and tiny core-memory footprint.

i don't buy this.

what do you want to do with these tools?  please be specific and
or give examples.

note that property lists, while being XML from one POV, are not
true XML in that the parser only accepts a very limited format and
real xml tools are not guaranteed to produce output that proplib
can digest.

.mrg.