Re: pkgin idea: warning about service restarts and database migrations

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> I'm talking about a package that is still in pkgsrc (and binary repos)
> but will be removed in the near future.

I do understand what Manuel wants.  It's to mark the current version in
pkgsrc of xenkernel-413 as pending removal, so that people who are

  - still running 4.13
  - not running a staging server for their dom0
    - despite this, consider it really critical
  - updating to new quarterly branches
  - paying attention to upgrade messages
  - somehow are not aware that they really need to upgrade

will notice.

I didn't mean to sound so cranky above when I started writing this.  But
as I thought about what the real issue is, it feels niche.

I wonder if adding a removal-warning in pkg-vulnerabilities is
reasonable, separate from 'is not maintained upstream'.   It's not
really a vulnerability, but it is a "condition which is true about this
package that and admin should be made aware of".

To me, the most important thing is to avoid spamming people via MESSAGE
abuse while also not doing anything else icky.