Re: pkgin idea: warning about service restarts and database migrations

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 09:53:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > Since the list of packages that pkgin updates is sometimes really
> > really long, I thought if we should add some heuristics to display
> > notes about packages that an admin might want to know about.
>
> I like this, especially if it helps reduce MESSAGE abuse.  But even if
> not!

(rest redacted, my summary: the automatic guessing version is not to
your liking.)

How about:

UPGRADE_NOTICE+=	"<=4.5 Please foobar the nozzle before upgrading."
UPGRADE_NOTICE+=	"<=5 Please remove the baz before upgrading."

so that when you upgrade from a version before 4.5, both messages are
displayed and if you upgrade from a version before 5, the second is
displayed?

At least by pkgin. Not sure if we want to teach pkg_add about this and
how - it doesn't have any confirmations. Though we could theoretically
make these warnings something that needs a -y flag for pkg_add before
you can really update.

Similarly:

SUPERSEDES_NOTICE+=	"Please dump the database before the upgrade and restore it afterwards"

which is shown if a SUPERSEDES was used to install this package
instead of the one it replaces.

How does that sound?
 Thomas