Re: pkgin idea: warning about service restarts and database migrations

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 07:50:26PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > How about:
> >
> > UPGRADE_NOTICE+=	"<=4.5 Please foobar the nozzle before upgrading."
> > UPGRADE_NOTICE+=	"<=5 Please remove the baz before upgrading."
> >
> > so that when you upgrade from a version before 4.5, both messages are
> > displayed and if you upgrade from a version before 5, the second is
> > displayed?
>
> That seems ok.  I wonder if this should be more structured than split by
> first space, but that seems ok.  I'd expect most conditions to be <, as
> in <X when the change happens in X.0, but as long as < and <= both work,
> people can write the conditions they think they need and we'll see how
> it goes.

Yeah, the space is not optimal, other suggestions are welcome, and
perhaps we can get rid of the '<' too and just use a version number.

> > At least by pkgin. Not sure if we want to teach pkg_add about this and
> > how - it doesn't have any confirmations. Though we could theoretically
> > make these warnings something that needs a -y flag for pkg_add before
> > you can really update.
>
> I don't see why pkg_add -u couldn't just print the warning for now, so
> you get the upgrade and the warning.

Well, that's too late for a database dump.
(Good enough for the service restarts.)

> Making pkg_add interactive is something I'm not sure we want to do, but
> we can consider that later.
>
> > Similarly:
> >
> > SUPERSEDES_NOTICE+=	"Please dump the database before the upgrade and restore it afterwards"
> >
> > which is shown if a SUPERSEDES was used to install this package
> > instead of the one it replaces.
>
> That seems reasonable also.  We lose the ability to warn depending on
> what we came from and version, but jumping packages is sort of a logical
> thing separate from within-package changes, and this seems like it will
> cover almost all.
>
> So overall I think this is fine.

Thanks for the comments.

Jonathan, what do you think?