Re: pkgin idea: warning about service restarts and database migrations

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 11:34:14PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 09:53:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
> >
> > > Since the list of packages that pkgin updates is sometimes really
> > > really long, I thought if we should add some heuristics to display
> > > notes about packages that an admin might want to know about.
> >
> > I like this, especially if it helps reduce MESSAGE abuse.  But even if
> > not!
>
> (rest redacted, my summary: the automatic guessing version is not to
> your liking.)
>
> How about:
>
> UPGRADE_NOTICE+=	"<=4.5 Please foobar the nozzle before upgrading."
> UPGRADE_NOTICE+=	"<=5 Please remove the baz before upgrading."
>
> so that when you upgrade from a version before 4.5, both messages are
> displayed and if you upgrade from a version before 5, the second is
> displayed?
>
> At least by pkgin. Not sure if we want to teach pkg_add about this and
> how - it doesn't have any confirmations. Though we could theoretically
> make these warnings something that needs a -y flag for pkg_add before
> you can really update.
>
> Similarly:
>
> SUPERSEDES_NOTICE+=	"Please dump the database before the upgrade and restore it afterwards"
>
> which is shown if a SUPERSEDES was used to install this package
> instead of the one it replaces.
>
> How does that sound?

Some time ago we discussed about how to deal with obsolete packages that
will be removed from pkgsrc in the near future.
Maybe it would be the opportunity to implement something like an
OBSOLETE variable, to be displayed when a user install or upgrades
to an obsolete package ?

something like
OBSOLETE+= "this package is EOL upstream and will be removed after 2023Q2"