Re: make modular X11 the default on NetBSD

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:56 AM, David Holland
<dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> The other thing is, bulk building has two purposes. One is generating
> binary packages for people to use; the other is testing. Right now the
> tools favor the testing role. pbulk, for example, will rebuild a
> package if any of its files get updated or if anything it depends on
> gets rebuilt; this is necessary for testing (now and then it turns up
> unexpected problems) but for the most part not necessary for producing
> binary packages, especially on the stable branch. We can and probably
> should adjust this sort of thing for stable builds; we do far too
> much belt-and-suspenders-and-maglev-and-antigrav stuff in pkgsrc and
> it's unnecessarily expensive.

Another option would be to only rebuild a package if its full version
(including the revision) has changed.  Yes, I'm aware that this has
its own problems, but it also means that the maintainer controls
exactly what causes a package to be rebuilt and ensures that package
revisions are bumped to showcase differences in the binaries.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv