Re: make modular X11 the default on NetBSD

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Manuel Bouyer
<bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 01:38:13AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Jeremy C. Reed
>> <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:
>> > 1) packages no X (shared)
>> > 2) packages using native X
>> > 3) packages using pkgsrc X
>>
>> Building packages this way is not feasible I think due to interactions
>> between
>> no-X and X packages. Well, running three bulk builds sequencially
>> doesn't look like
>> a good solution to me.
>
> At last not with the hardware we have now for official x86 packages.
> It already takes way too much time to provide binary updates.

LA of build servers would be significantly less if we stopped building
a lot of broken packages again and again for every quarter release.
graphics/evas, for example, is broken for years, x11/qt4-creator --
for several months. There are a lot of similar examples.
Such packages waste a lot of machine power. In order to solve this problem
in distbb I recently added -a option (not released yet).
If -a is applied, distbb builds the specified packages only
and resulting pkg_summary and SHA512 are *updated*.
This is how last amd64/5.1/2012Q1 bulk built looks like

http://mova.org/~cheusov/pub/pkgsrc-distbb/NetBSD51/2012Q1/logs/20120516.1035/META/report.html

If you see "really built" packages, i'll find databases/mysql55-server
and databases/mysql55-client packages only. On dual core Atom-330
the build took 70 minutes.

I have a plan to embed 'cvs up' output analyser/heiristics into distbb
in order efficiently calculate a list of packages to rebuild (usually
a few of them). This heiristics should
analyse "P category/package/Makefile" entries for examples as well as
"P category/package/buildlink3.mk" and so on.