Re: copyright holder for PKGSRC/pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files/files

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 09:34:58PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
[...]
> For more than 15 years of existense nobody
> marked their changes with proper copyright notice.

That's a mistake.

> If I understand correctly "no explicit license" == "public domain"
> by default.

That's a very wrong assumption to make.  Without licence, the copyright
law describes what you can do with a computer program (or any other
piece of art).  That's essentially nothing but the ability to look at
it in most countries (and of course doesn't allow distribution, because
you can't copy it).

The copyright law (in the case of that code, the US copyright law) is
what prevails;  a licence can only allow a licensee to do more than what
the law allows, but cannot add restrictions beyond it.  For that you
need a contract.

Now, trying to be pragmatic, it'd be safe to assume those files are
covered by a variant of the BSD licence, but you'll have to ask all the
significant authors you can find (using CVS history).  The same goes as
to who to give copyright to.  Hopefully the list will be small enough.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost